whatsthebigmistry is the work of Midlands based artist Priya Mistry, working cross-discipline straddling performance, live art, visual arts and dance. Priya is also a creative practitioner, working with arts institutions to facilitate workshops with focused groups, most notably in the field of mental health, inclusion and invisible dis/ability.
Priya is an Associate Artist with Derby Theatre and Attenborough Arts Centre in Leicester through the In Good Company Artist Development Scheme. She is also an Associate Artist at MK Gallery in Milton Keynes, an Artist Member at Chisenhale Dance Space, and Engagement Artist with New Art Exchange in Nottingham, Creative Health, in Wolvehampton and a regular collaborator with Daily Life Limited and Bobby Baker.
Recently Priya teamed with Mentor Bryony Kimmings, Associate Director Joseph Mercier of Panic Lab to create her show Musical Mental Health Cabaret. Mistry featured at ClubFierce (Festival) Artist Behind Bars, Awkward Bastards provocateur for DASH Arts, MAC and devised and appeared in Carnesky Production’s ‘The Incredible Bleeding Woman’ at Soho Theatre in December 2016. Other collaborators include: New Art Club, Emma Kirkland and Keir Cooper’s Don Quiojte, Micheal Pinchbeck, Puppets with Guts, Florence Peak Make Remake project, and 2Magpies Theatre.
- Priya works as a project based artist, across artistic disciplines and extending the forms within which she works, creating scalable and transferable projects
- whatsthebigmistry values performance and workshops equally, with each informing the other
- Collaboration and working with other artists is a key component in the creation of new work
- Sustainable practice as an artist is a core value and as such whatsthebigmistry participates in regional and national conversations on this.
- Create and add to discourse around topics explored in the work, particularly mental health, equality and feminist politics, identity, race, sex, gender and queerness.
Commissions, Residencies and platforms with Theatres, Galleries and Festivals including LADA, Hatch, Little Wolf Parade, hÅb, Fierce, Birmingham REP Theatre, Dance 4, IGC Theatres, CCA, Bonnington Gallery, USF Verftet Norway, Tou Scene Norway, Emotional Bodies/Zona Dance Romania, Intercult Sweden amongst others.