whatsthebigmistry is Priya Mistry, multidisciplinary artist, socially engaged practitioner and creative producer straddling visual, performance and live art. Mistry’s practice adds to discourse on topics of mental health/neurodiversity, feminist politics, identity, sex and queerness, whilst deconstructing language, exploring sensory/non-word based vocabularies. Priya is Associate Artist with In Good Company consortium, New Art Exchange , Artist Member at East Side Projects and Chisenhale Dance Space. She regular collaborator with artist Bobby Baker at Daily Life Limited- (Mental Dis/ability Arts Organisation) including work with William Morris Gallery and Diagnosing Diagnosis Symposium with The Wellcome Collection.
In 2019 Mistry is recipient of DYCP (Developing Your Own Creative Practice) Grant from ACE. In 2020 this see’s Priya partner with Critical Path (AUS) to design research, collaboration laboratories and exchange in Sydney.
Current projects and collaborations include Tropical Awkward Bastard, Love, Lament Psycho Girlfriend, Artist is Absent and Intimate Conversations with Furniture, Radical Sabbatical Research Residency on The Unconditioned Mind with Eastside Projects and University of Birmingham and Rita Evans Instrument Sculptures and Emma Smith’s Touching Space.
Creative Producing projects include She He They BROWNNESS Programme Guest Curator De Montfort University Cultural Exchanges Festival and Curator Bursary Chisenhale Dance Space/Choreographers’ Gallery Trust. Sustainable practices Events: Axis Social Works? (Primary, Nottingham), Social Art Summit (Site Gallery, Sheffield) LAB on with Elsa James and presently collaborating on a Mental Health Toolkit disability arts producer Alice Holland (Unlimited-Producers International) and partners.
- Priya works as a project based artist, across artistic disciplines and extending the forms within which she works, creating scalable and transferable projects
- whatsthebigmistry values performance, social engagement and the processes of creative exploration equally, with each informing the other
- Collaboration and working with other artists is a key component in the creation of new work
- Sustainable practice as an artist is a core value and as such whatsthebigmistry participates in national and international conversations on this.
- Create and add to discourse around topics explored in the work, particularly mental health, equality and feminist politics, identity, race, sex, gender and queerness.
Mistry teamed and been Mentored by Bryony Kimmings, Director Joseph Mercier of Panic Lab to create her show Musical Mental Health Cabaret. Other Performance and Collaborations include Carnesky Productions’s ‘The Incredible Bleeding Woman’, Emma Frankland and Keir Cooper’s Don Quiojte, Florence Peak Make Remake project, as well as New Art Club, Micheal Pinchbeck, Duckie, 2Magpies Theatre, Lucy Suggate Swarm Sculptures, Rebecca Davies and The Bedfellows among many others.
Commissions, Residencies and platforms with Theatres, Galleries and Festivals including METAL Culture, Eastside Projects, Terrestrial, Axis, LADA, Hatch, Little Wolf Parade, hÅb, Fierce, Birmingham REP Theatre, Dance 4, IGC Theatres, CCA, Bonnington Gallery, USF Verftet Norway, Tou Scene Norway, Emotional Bodies/Zona Dance Romania, Intercult Sweden amongst others.